Sunday, March 4, 2007

AFRICAN YAM STEW with COLLARD GREENS

From Sandy in California I made this last night and it was great! Very simple and very good for you. I tasted it before adding the lemon juice and I think that I liked it better without, but the recipe (from a nutrition book - Becoming Vegetarian) called for it, so I've included it below. I added some cooked tomatoes at the same time as the yams. I used 2 very rounded teaspoons of some Chinese Chili Garlic sauce I had in the fridge. I ate it with a dolop of yogurt. Nothing else needed, it's a complete meal. My boyfriend ate it with Pita though. I can't wait for the leftovers tonight.

  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 cups peeled and diced yams or sweet potatoes
  • 1 cup cooked (or canned) chick-peas
  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 cup peanut or almond butter
  • 2 cups chopped collard greens or kale
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or tamari
  • chili sauce to taste

Heat 2 Tbs of stock in a large pot. Add the onion and saute over medium heat for 5 minutes, adding more stock if necessary. Add the remaining stock, yams, chickpeas, rice and salt; simmer for 45 minutes. In small bowl, blend the peanut butter with 1/2 cup of liquid from the stew to make a smooth paste. Stir into the stew along with the greens and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, pepper and tamari or Braggs; add chili sauce to taste. Adjust seasonings and serve. Serves 4.

YANKEE COLLARDS
From 3KillerBs - When I first moved to North Carolina I saw frozen collards in the grocery store but had no idea how they were usually prepared. So, knowing they were related to kale, I adapted my Italian-style recipe for Kale. One southern-born friend says its heresy but I say its delicious.

  • 1 lb chopped collard greens
  • 1 garlic clove, finely minced
  • 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
  • 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
  • balsamic vinegar
  • parmesan cheese, grated

Heat olive oil gently in a large, heavy skillet (I use the cast iron chicken fryer).
Saute the collards, onions, and garlic slowly and gently in the olive oil. Give it plenty of time since collards are tough if not slow-cooked -- letting them stew in their own juices until tender. Serve with Basalmic vinegar and parmesan. Add cooked beans or other protein and serve with whole grain bread like cornbread to make a complete meal.


No comments: